So I did get the urns to the glaze stage, but then they went really really wrong. Silly me, never having worked with paper porcelain before had no idea that it can warp so much in a glaze firing. One fell over and the other kind of twisted a bit and the lid totally fused to the body. That kind of knocked the stuffing out of me and I had to step back for a few weeks, I couldn’t even bring myself to blog about it till now.
So then I tried using some Audrey Blackman Porcelain with fine molochite in it, I just got really frustrated with it, porcelain is fickle, so now I’m going to use the Potclays Grogged Pink (or I might even use the Scarva Professional Black, not sure yet). It comes out a very nice earthy tone at 1280C, and if I use a temmoku on it, it will be a nice fat and shiny dark brown with a sheen of iron crystals on the surface and the glaze breaking to tan over edges and texture giving the form some natural detailing.
It was very silly of me to even think of using porcelain in the first place, Dad wasn’t a fine china sort of person, he worked with his hands most of his life, so using a nice groggy clay is more fitting. Anyway, his urn has had to go on the back burner until I have everything I can possibly make, made for the xmas markets I have coming up, I’ll be doing the next 2 Frome Super Markets, a small one in Bath organised by a friend, as well as the Bath Art and Craft Markets, 3 dates there which I am now managing.
Other than that, I managed to fit in a little side project on something that I really wanted to try, and the tests are really promising. More to come on that, I need to get the vessels glazed and sanded, but I must say I’m really excited over the whole project, even though it’s a departure from my mostly functional work.
Sorry, no pics this time, I couldn’t even bear to photograph the disaster on the kiln.